This month Leslie and I attended a marriage seminar at YWAM San Jose led by Jack Kody. Here’s some of the main things I learned.
- The best way you can love your children is to love your spouse.
- The best way to love your spouse is to drink everyday from the Fountain of Living Water
- God has brought your spouse into your life to work on your character – will you let Him?
- For what would it profit a man to gain the whole world and lose his own soul? Jack spoke about this saying that his wife and kids are his soul – a unique persepctive.
- Greater love has no man than this – that he lay down his life for another. Will I lay down my life for my wife and children each day?
- Create an environment that encourages everyone to be honest.
- Enter into the world of your wife and kids and allow them to be honest.
- Jack shared that his greatest mentors have been his wife and kids.
- The parable of the 10 talents – Leslie and the boys are the talents – what am I going to do with them?
- God is interested in relationship not formulas
So that’s just a little list of some of the things that we talked about. It was a really good time to let God do some work in our hearts and to take time out to really focus on these things. We can do ministry, but what will it profit us or anyone if our family falls apart in the process?